WISE is for women majoring in science and engineering!
Women in Science & Engineering
Are you a science or engineering major? Would you like to live and go to classes with others with similar interests? Then the Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) ILLC is for you!
The shared courses will provide a platform for scientific exploration and discussion. In the WISE ILLC, you will interact with science and engineering faculty, upper- level students, and professionals. You will be surrounded by other students with interest in science and engineering and experience a support system to help foster success and community. Plus it’s a lot of fun. Through the WISE ILLC, you will build personal and professional networks that will last a lifetime.
Students: Open to women students in engineering, biology, chemistry, and premedicine
ILLC Coordinators: Laura Bistrek, Jack O'Gorman, Liz Mancini
ILLC Faculty: Riad Alakkad, Kent Piepgrass, Kimberly Bigelow, Stephanie Thorpe, Leslie Lehner
Residence: Stuart Complex
Shared Courses: CHM 123 (General Chemistry) and/or EGR 103 (Engineering Innovation), depending upon the specific major. Note that the EGR 103 course will be an all female engineering course for students in the WISE ILLC.
Graduation Requirements: These courses will fulfill graduation requirements specific to your major.
- Interact with women faculty, upper level students, and professionals in science and engineering (speakers, networking events, socials)
- Discuss topics related to women in science and engineering
- Field trips to visit science and engineering females in industry and research labs
- Visit a local school to encourage grade K – 8 student interest in science and engineering through fun hands on activities
- Participate in community building and social event